IOWA CITY/CEDAR RAPIDS — Starting today, the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area offers two dozen Pride events through mid-July – meaning if you live in the area, you have options to choose from on almost any given day.
The upcoming events are geared toward audiences of all ages and interests. For example, families looking to celebrate Pride have a few particularly fun options this upcoming week.
Iowa City’s Pride at the Pool event at Upper City Park happens this Friday and provides free attendance, food, activities, and a drag story time for everyone. More sports-oriented families may be interested in Pride Night at the bowling alley Wednesday, or Pride Night at the Ballpark Saturday evening at Vets Memorial Stadium in Cedar Rapids. The Kernels will be taking on the South Bend Cubs, with a fireworks show after the game! Click the link to get your discounted tickets.
Iowa City Pride features 110 vendors, eight musicians and drag performers
But the main Pride event this week for Iowa City/Cedar Rapids is, of course, the Iowa City Pride Festival and Unity March this Saturday. It’s the second-largest Pride celebration in Iowa.
This year’s event includes over 110 vendors. Entertainment Director Blake Shaw also promises “an incredible lineup of musicians, dancers, performers, and drag artists.”
They include vocalists Mars Hojilla, Rachel Saint, and Allegra Hernandez; The Quire of Eastern Iowa; the band Natural Habits; the burlesque troupe Bawdy Bawdy Ha Ha; winners of local drag pageants; the drag king troupe I.C. Kings; local drag performers including Chey Boi, Myling Belle, Frisbee Jenkins; and traveling drag artists Dahli, Jazell Barbie Royale and Jade Jolie from Dragula, Queen of the Universe and RuPaul’s Drag Race.
“This is our first post-pandemic Pride, and people are ready to go back out in full swing,” says Joe Reilly, president of Iowa City Pride. “We’ve felt really supported by the community these last two years, and we’re ready to put on a great fest in return!”
CR Pride organizers also are looking to build on last year’s strong show of support. The group already held its Pride Parade, drawing thousands to observe.
“We hope that everyone in the corridor feels represented in the activities that are offered,” says CR Pride President Corey Jacobson. “In tough times, it’s important that we stand strong and stand with pride. This pride season is CR Pride is working to ensure that the Cedar Rapids metro area is aware of the positive impact that the LGBTQIA+ community has in the corridor.”
Twelve Pride events this week alone in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, surrounding communities
Here’s a chronological list of upcoming Pride events throughout the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City area:
- Big Gay Bar Crawl by Iowa City Pride, 5 p.m., starting at Shakespeare’s Pub with dinner and then heading to Studio 13/Joystick, Micky’s Irish Pub & Grill, Joe’s Place, and the Daedwood Tavern.
- Drag Queen Story Time, 10 a.m., The Play Cafe, Marion. Arts, crafts and games.
- Pride Rocks, 5 p.m. Press Coffee, Iowa City. Rock-painting activity with indoor and outdoor stations.
- Rainbow Birds – Cork ‘n Canvas, 6 p.m., The Lucky Cat, Cedar Rapids. Sip and paint! $35.
- Pride Night at Spare Time Entertainment, 6 p.m., Cedar Rapids. Two hours of free bowling.
- E4Everyone Pride Party for Teens, 1:30 p.m., Hiawatha Public Library. Crafts-making, karaoke and more.
- “Out & About: Queer Life in Iowa City,” noon, University of Iowa Libraries’ Main Library Gallery. Conversation with Alyx Rush and Blake Shaw, moderated by Sarah Suhadolnik.
- Pride at Filmscene “Doing Gender” featuring “Tangerine,” award-winning film about a transgender sex worker and her friend, 7 p.m., FilmScene, Iowa City.
- Drag Bingo, 6 p.m., The Lucky Cat, Cedar Rapids. With hosts Lexis and Paris. Goodwill donations accepted with proceeds going to CR Pride.
- Pride at the Pool & Picnic, 5 p.m. City Park Pool, Iowa City. Also featuring picnic food, drag storytime, sidewalk chalk, temporary tattoos, and games with the Old Capitol City Roller Derby team.
More Pride events in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids area through July 8
- Wed., June 21:
- Pride at FilmScene: Senorita, 7 p.m., FilmScene at the Chauncey, Iowa City. Pay what you can, suggested ticket price $10.
- Fri., June 23:
- Pride Button-making, 11 a.m. Marion Public Library.
- Sat., June 24:
- Celebration of the Rainbow Spirit, Interfaith Pride Service, 2 p.m., Cedar Rapids Downtown Library
- Sun., June 25:
- Starting Mon., June 26:
- Our State of Being – Art Exhibition, noon – 6 p.m., CSPS Hall, Cedar Rapids. FREE. Continuing through July 22.
- Tues., June 27:
- LGBTQ+ Panel Discussion with Tanager Place, 6:30 p.m., Hiawatha Public Library. FREE.
- Wed., June 28:
- Royal Tea: Queens Talk About Drag, noon, Zoom. Hear Paris J Beverly Hillz, Hazel Sanchez Belle, and Wilma Carstart talk about what it’s like to be a queen. Presented by the Iowa City Office of Equity and Human Rights.
- Thurs., June 29:
- FilmScene: Doing Gender: By Hook or By Crook, 7 p.m., FilmScene at the Chauncey, Iowa City. Pay what you can, suggested ticket price $10.
- Fri., June 30:
- Drag me to Dinner, 6 p.m., ChopHouse Downtown, Cedar Rapids.
- Sun., July 2:
- 7th Annual Cedar Rapids Pride Ride, suitable for all experience levels.
- Sat., July 8
Cover image features listing for Iowa City Pride, logo for Lucky Cat Brewing, a PSA from CR Pride, Blake Shaw and Alyx Rush, and a peyote portrait of Stonewall hero Marsha P. Johnson at Beadology Iowa. For a complete listing of upcoming Pride events throughout Iowa, head to TRM’s statewide calendars: this one for Iowa, and this one for Illinois. If you know of an event that should be included in this list, email email@example.com.