We maintain this feed to showcase reliable, important coverage of COVID-19 and health. Please explore the links below, and the media generating them.
The Guardian: Coronavirus Outbreak
- Covid live: Novavax applies for WHO emergency use approval; UK reports 36,710 new casesby Nicola Slawson (now); Miranda Bryant and Helen Sullivan (earlier) on September 23, 2021 at 3:48 pm
Vaccine maker has agreement to provide 1.1bn doses to Covax; latest UK figures show an increase of almost 10,000 compared to last WednesdayEngland’s Covid travel rules spark outrage around the […]
- FDA approves Pfizer booster shots for people who are ‘high risk’ or over 65by Reuters on September 23, 2021 at 12:41 pm
Third dose of US Covid-19 vaccine will be available for ‘healthcare workers, teachers and daycare staff and grocery workers’The US Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday authorized a booster […]
- UK economic growth slows to weakest level since Covid rules eased in Marchby Richard Partington Economics correspondent on September 23, 2021 at 11:40 am
Firms battling stock and worker shortages with Brexit cited as exacerbating pandemic issuesSevere shortages of workers and supplies have dragged down economic growth in Britain to the weakest levels […]
- New online tool to help residents reduce the impact of traffic-related air pollutionon September 23, 2021 at 2:21 pm
Researchers have released a new online tool to help schools, hospitals and residents understand and reduce the impact of traffic-related air pollution.
- Are too many Phase III cancer clinical trials set up to fail?on September 23, 2021 at 2:20 pm
New research finds four out of five cancer therapies tested in Phase III trials do not achieve clinically-meaningful benefit in prolonging survival, and is the first study to quantify the number of false-positive, false-negative, and true-negative trial results.
- Different types of cancers are likely to spread to specific areas of the brainon September 23, 2021 at 12:29 pm
Brain metastasis occurs when cancer in one part of the body spreads to the brain. The lifetime incidence of such metastatic brain tumors in cancer patients is between 20%-45%, research shows.
- New research cautions about possible risks of acetaminophen use during pregnancyby Isabella Cueto on September 23, 2021 at 3:01 pm
The authors called on clinicians and regulatory agencies to change their guidelines for use of acetaminophen during pregnancy while more research is conducted.
- STAT+: Pharmalittle: Pfizer CEO rallies employees to fight drug-price negotiations; Glaxo head pressured by another activist fundby Ed Silverman on September 23, 2021 at 1:17 pm
GlaxoSmithKline CEO Emma Walmsley has come under pressure from a second activist hedge fund, which has taken a stake worth about $14 million to push for change at the top.
- Opinion: The brain health paradox: Dementia rates have fallen even as drugs have failedby Daniel R. George and Peter Whitehouse on September 23, 2021 at 8:45 am
Creating a healthier society — a renewed 21st century commitment to broader prosperity, public health, and prevention — will be the best way to promote brain health and keep the…
- STAT+: ‘It’s never one-size-fits all’: Health tech leaders look to design to make care more equitableby Erin Brodwin on September 23, 2021 at 8:40 am
Companies are designing physically inviting, living room-like waiting rooms and creating downloadable PDF files for people who can’t view data in real time, mindful that not everyone has high-speed […]