We maintain this feed to showcase reliable, important coverage of COVID-19 and health. Please explore the links below, and the media generating them.
The Guardian: Coronavirus Outbreak
- Coronavirus live news: Europe leaders told to ‘act urgently’; US nears 9m casesby Aamna Mohdin (now) and Helen Sullivan (earlier) on October 30, 2020 at 7:43 am
Head of the European Commission warns EU hospitals ‘at risk of being overwhelmed’ by Covid; Japan passes 100,000 cases; China reports 25 symptomatic new cases, down from the day before.US nears […]
- Western Australia will ease hard border to allow no-quarantine arrivals from Tasmania, Queensland, SA and NT – politics liveby Nino Bucci (now) and Amy Remeikis (earlier) on October 30, 2020 at 7:39 am
Mark McGowan announces a relaxation of border rules as Annastacia Palaszczuk says Queensland border will stay closed to Victoria and greater Sydney. Follow all the latest news and updates, liveFollow […]
- US election 2020: signs of record turnout as candidates make final push through swing states – liveby Tom McCarthy on October 30, 2020 at 7:16 am
Trump and Biden scheduled to hold dueling events in Minnesota and Wisconsin Friday‘Turning pain into purpose’: Covid is driving Arizonans to the pollsThe polls point to a Biden victory but can […]
- Stronger treatments could cure Chagas diseaseon October 29, 2020 at 9:16 pm
Researchers have found that a more intensive, less frequent drug regimen with currently available therapeutics could cure the infection that causes Chagas disease.
- Comparing sensitivity of all genes to chemical exposureon October 29, 2020 at 9:16 pm
An environmental health scientist has used an unprecedented objective approach to identify which molecular mechanisms in mammals are the most sensitive to chemical exposures.
- Listen: Pfizer’s Covid-19 mystery, Ashish Jha on pandemic response, & STAT turns 5by Damian Garde and Meg Tirrell and Adam Feuerstein on October 29, 2020 at 9:24 pm
When are we getting Covid-19 vaccine data? Will concerts ever be safe again? And what’s a “Bionomy”? Find out on the latest episode of “The Readout LOUD.” Listen now: #TheReadoutLOUD
- STAT+: Trump administration finalizes rule forcing insurers to disclose negotiated prices, including for drugsby Lev Facher on October 29, 2020 at 4:42 pm
The rule will force insurers to disclose the prices they negotiate with hospitals, doctors, and drug companies. But it won’t take effect until January 2022.
- Lab tests show risks of using CRISPR gene editing on embryosby Associated Press on October 29, 2020 at 4:37 pm
A lab experiment aimed at fixing defective DNA in human embryos shows what can go wrong with this type of gene editing and why leading scientists say it’s too unsafe…
- STAT+: Training the innate immune system to thwart cancer could open door to a new therapyby Elizabeth Cooney on October 29, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Until now, immunotherapy has relied on revving up just one arm of the immune system against tumors. But scientists working in mice trained a different arm to beat back cancer.