We maintain this feed to showcase reliable, important coverage of COVID-19 and health. Please explore the links below, and the media generating them.
The Guardian: Coronavirus Outbreak
- Coronavirus live news: UK records 1,295 more deaths and a further 41,346 cases; Japan’s Covid second wave linked to rise in suicidesby Jedidajah Otte (now), Damien Gayle, Matilda Boseley and Michael McGowan (earlier) on January 16, 2021 at 6:27 pm
Easing England’s lockdown before March would be a disaster, Sage member saysIndia begins world’s biggest Covid vaccination programmeUK aviation sector needs urgent support, industry leaders […]
- Doctors and nurses ‘need more legal protection amid pandemic pressures’by Yohannes Lowe on January 16, 2021 at 6:23 pm
Medical workers fear ‘inappropriate’ prosecutions over Covid treatment decisions, say health bodiesCoronavirus – latest updatesSee all our coronavirus coverageEmergency legislation is needed to […]
- For the young, the vaccine is yet one more reason to resent the boomers | Barbara Ellenby Barbara Ellen on January 16, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Millennials have been badly hit by lockdown – and now they’re last in line for Covid jabsThe “wrong kind” of older, or middle-aged, people are supposed to be receiving the Covid vaccine by […]
- Tool to distribute limited vaccines equitablyon January 15, 2021 at 6:53 pm
Researchers have developed a tool that incorporates a person’s age and socioeconomic status to prioritize vaccine distribution among people who otherwise share similar risks due to their jobs.
- Scientists identify nutrient that helps prevent bacterial infectionon January 15, 2021 at 6:53 pm
Scientists studying the body’s natural defenses against bacterial infection have identified a nutrient — taurine — that helps the gut recall prior infections and kill invading bacteria, such as […]
- ‘Slippery slope territory’: Health officials propose waiving regulatory review of medical AI toolsby Casey Ross on January 16, 2021 at 5:36 pm
Days before leaving office, President Trump’s top health official is proposing to permanently exempt a wide swath of clinical AI tools from regulatory review.
- STAT+: Maryland Senate overrides governor’s veto of prescription drug affordability boardby Ed Silverman on January 15, 2021 at 9:33 pm
The governor had argued funding for a board “would raise taxes and fees at a time when many are already out of work and financially struggling.”
- Biden will mobilize FEMA, the National Guard, and pharmacies to ramp up vaccine distributionby Nicholas Florko on January 15, 2021 at 9:23 pm
Biden will mobilize FEMA, the National Guard, and pharmacies to ramp up vaccine distribution.
- Genome-sequencing pioneer Eric Lander to lead science policy for Bidenby Lev Facher and Andrew Joseph on January 15, 2021 at 8:56 pm
Biden also announced that he will elevate his science adviser to a cabinet-level post, marking the first time in history that the OSTP head has served alongside the heads of…